I am writing this post from my new apartment in St. Louis…weee! Soon I will be starting graduate school in public health which is both exciting and a bit scary- the semester hasn’t even started and my reading list is already too big! But I’ll figure it out along the way and with recipes like the one I’m about to share, I’ll stay energized for it all!
I will warn you…the recipe I am going to share with you today is not very pretty but it very DELICIOUS. I got this recipe from my mom who is just so good at making food that tastes delicious, is healthy and can be done quickly. I get a lot of inspiration from her, actually. When I make this recipe I like to cut the chicken into little pieces so it’ll cook faster and also in the hopes that I will trick myself into eating less of it and more vegetables instead, heh. I don’t know if it actually works, but I’ve convinced myself that it does. I love this recipe though because it is an easy way to get lots of vegetables at once and also because when you’re chopping the vegetables they look so pretty on the cutting board! It makes me think of this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/food-gradients-brittany-wright#.ecd886e6N To go with this chicken I made roasted vegetables and used some of the same veggies that were used here…delicious!
CHICKEN WITH A VEGETABLE SAUCE RECIPE
2 chicken breasts cut into small equal size pieces (you can probably get about four slices from each breast)
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 of a bell pepper (I roasted the other half)
1/2 of a large tomato (I also roasted the other half)
1 shredded carrot
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Do all your prep work…cut the chicken and chop the vegetables
- Season the chicken generously with kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat on the stove. Add half of the olive oil. Let that heat up for a minute. Add the chicken and cook it through. Once that’s done turn the heat down to low and cover the chicken while you prepare the sauce.
- Heat another skillet over medium high heat. Add the rest of the olive oil. When it’s hot add the onions and peppers. Sautee those for a few minutes until they soften a little (around 2 minutes). Then add the carrots and tomatoes and sautee those too. Finally, add the minced garlic and mix everything together.
- Add your spices to the vegetable mixture, including salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. I would say around a teaspoon of cumin and 1/2 a teaspoon of everything else. You can then taste it and see if it needs more salt or more of another spice.
- Once your spices have been incorporated into the vegetables add your mixture to a blender and blend it until it is pureed.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and let it simmer for a little while so all the flavors can be incorporated.
- That’s it! Serve over rice and enjoy.