Yesterday, I went to the library and opened my public library card for all St. Louis city public branches. I was way more excited than I thought I would be and the little kid version of me was jumping up and down for joy. You may not have expected this (but if you know me, you actually probably guessed this, really), but when I was little my mom would take us to the library almost every week and we would get tote bags of books to take home with us. I would spend all my free time reading and I loved it. I still love it, but now, I mostly just have time to read stuff for school, which is interesting in it’s own right.
Anyway, I’m getting off topic here. The point of telling you all that was that I discovered that they have a cooking section! So, of course, I checked out as many cook books as I could carry, disappointed that I didn’t plan ahead to bring a tote bag, like little me would have. I found this really great book though. It’s called Meat On The Side- Delicious Vegetable Focused Recipes for Every Day, by Nikki Dinki. I was looking through it to see what recipes jumped out at me last night and I saw one for a zucchini quiche with a potato crust. I marked it and decided I would make it this morning with a few tweaks of my own. While she does a potato crust, I changed it to sweet potatoes because why not and I added mushrooms and spinach to the filling. I was quite happy with how it turned out and I know Matt was too since he ate about half of it (not really, but he had a piece or two).
I hope you enjoy this recipe and take a weekend morning to make it for you and some friends or loved ones!
QUICHE WITH A SWEET POTATO CRUST
(Adapted from Meat On The Side- Delicious Vegetable Focused Recipes for Every Day)
2 small sweet potatoes or 1 large sweet potato
1 cup all purpose flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 bacon strips
1 zucchini, chopped into small cubes
4 ounces baby bella mushrooms
1.5 cups of spinach or arugula
¾ cup of milk
2 scallions, minced
2 ounces your favorite sharp cheese (gruyere and cheddar work nice here)
¾ teaspoon of Kosher Salt
Pepper garlic powder and Italian seasoning to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- Peel and grate the sweet potatoes. You should end up with about three cups.
- In a bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, flour, egg and seasonings.
- Press it into the pie dish and bake for about 30 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook it until it is crispy. Once done, move it to a paper towel to drain.
- Using the leftover grease from the bacon, saute the zucchini and mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until tender and the mushrooms have released their liquid. Then, add the spinach/arugula and cook until wilted. Place that onto a paper towel to drain and cool off.
- Crumble the bacon.
- Then, whisk the eggs with the milk and add your cheese. Then add in the zucchini, mushroom, spinach mixture, the bacon, and the seasonings.
- Pour it into the crust and bake it until the filling is set in the center, about 25-30 minutes.